Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Smiles Can Disguise Sadness

We had Thanksgiving together; my mother, my sister and her husband, my brother and his family, my nephew and his family, all of my family.  There were about 18 of us in my house. After Thanksgiving, Chris posted some pictures on Facebook that he had taken.  I noticed there was a comment on the post from my mother saying, "Thanks, Chris.  I love all the pictures."

She called him Chris.

I noticed.  I also know that it was intentional on her part, as she could just as easily said, "Thank you, sweetie," like she often does when trying to figure out what to call him when she is finding it so difficult to call him by his new name.

I call him Chris most often now.  It is only when I occasionally slip that I call him Chloe.  It doesn't hurt as much anymore and there isn't angry resistance like there was several months ago, but there is still a part of my brain that remembers the girl I knew.  A part of my brain that forgets where we are and what Chris is going through.  It's like everything you allow time to heal or destroy.  Given enough time and your heart and mind adjusts.  I have often said that I don't think I will ever let Chloe go, but now I know that is not true.  I am letting her go, day by day.  I am allowing Chris to take her place because his presence and his life is more important and more powerful than any dreams I had, any hopes I had, any beliefs I had ... for Chloe.

My mother said his name.  She gave that to him to make him stronger, just as I have done.  We are not your normal, "traditional" family, that's for sure, but, what I know about this family is that Chris being transgender or any of my children being gay will not destroy any of us.  I am watching, experiencing and learning how we are all growing stronger, maybe because we are all being forced to travel this road with Chris.  I say "forced" because that is the truth of it; we have no other choice. Each day that passes and Chris grows more into himself, Chloe vanishes more and more into distant memories.

I was looking at this picture the other day of Chloe from her first birthday.  She was smiling and perfectly posed like a porcelain doll.  I stood and stared at that beautiful photo for a long time.  I caught myself trying to find Chris in the face and eyes of the baby I had named Chloe Nicole.  I never saw Chris in that baby's face.  Maybe because I didn't want to.  Maybe because Chris was not there yet.  Maybe because there was a smile on Chloe's face and a smile can easily disguise sadness.

My mother said his name.  We are all growing stronger so we can help Chris wash the sadness away ...

3 comments:

  1. I don't want Matthew to go away, I don't want Madi to become real! I wish Matthew could love his girlfriend and not Madi love hers. I had 18 for Thanksgiving dinner myself, but neither Matthew or Madi were here. My family just cannot handle the change. 9 little children that don't need to know that uncle Matthew wants to become Aunt Madi. How doyou tell them? How do you explain? Their parents don't want them to know. I don't know how to do this! But I'm watching you and believing God will show us how! Thank you dear Kellan! And Chris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad to hear that you were surrounded this Thanksgiving by your family. I'm going to tell you, the younger children of our family are the easiest and most accepting of Chris. My youngest daughter has never questioned "why?" - not once - she simply accepts that this is what Chris needs to survive. It is a journey that takes time for everyone. Your family will follow your lead, Cindy. I am nowhere near fully accepting of everything with Chris, but as each day passes I grow more and more at ease because I am accepting enough at this point that Chris feels and knows that and allows me to see how happy he is becoming. When there is resistance, I see the walls raise around Chris and when the walls are up I see his fear and anger and sadness. When the walls are allowed to come down, he is relieved and relaxed and happy. When/if you reach a point of acceptance I believe you will sincerely and seriously appreciate that Madi allows you to experience his joy. Depriving our children of acceptance is depriving them of joy - this is what I am learning. Maybe, we will all find out that these changes they are making will not lead to ultimate happiness for them, but they have to do what feels right for them and find out. I am the most fearful of this - that it will not be the answer, but I completely believe that Chris believes it will be and so I am trusting him more and more as he is transitioning. I am trusting that he knows his own mind more than I do. I am trusting that everything it feels like I am giving up will be worth it because the reward will be his happiness. It takes time and a lot of thoughts and prayers. You and your family are in the beginning stages of your journey that is not unlike ours but is also unique to your family and to Madi, so you just have to remember that you are not yet where you need to be, but you are farther along than you were 2 months ago. If you ever want to talk I will give you my number. It's not easy, but it does get easier ...

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete