Wednesday, October 19, 2016

He Inspires So Many People ...

Chris is scheduled to have top surgery in January. Because this surgery is expensive, Chris has a fundraising account where he is trying to raise the funds on YouCaring ((https://www.youcaring.com/chris-rhodes-616745).  I've been sort of following the progress of his fundraiser to see if he is near reaching his goal of $5000.00 and so far it is going well.  When people make a donation for him, they are allowed to leave comments with their donation and I have spent this evening reading through the comments of the many people who have sent him money for his surgery.  Here are a few examples of the sort of comments he receives:

"You've always been so awesome and inspiring! Even back in high school when we were all incredibly awkward. I wish you the best Chris!"

"Chris, you inspire me every day and im so happy for you. Im glad that i can help you achieve your next goal, i hope one day i can be as cool as you are. I LOVE YOU BRO!"

"Ive recently been struggling with my gender identity and debating the possibility of transitioning. Mostly fearing that the people in my life would not be able to accept me. Finding your blog was one of my biggest inspirations you showed me that I should be proud of who I amand shouldn't be afraid to hide it. I just wanted to thank you from the bottom of my heart. It's not much because of my broke college student status, but I hope that it helps at least a little."

"You are a big inspiration to me and many other people. I hope you meet your goal and are able to live freely and comfortably in your body. You have inspired me to come out and embrace who I really am and I cannot thank you enough for that. Keep on doing your thing!"

"You make me want to be a better person. Keep inspiring people. The world needs more people like you"

"Hey Chris! Good luck with your surgery. Thank you and your sister for being awesome role models for the lgbtqa+ community and human beings in general. Much love!"

"Hey you, I hope this helps! Thank you for all the help and hope you bring to our community!"

"I know I'll need help with the cost of my own surgery one day. I don't have much to offer, but you're truly inspiring. Keep doing what you do, Chris."

"Thanks for being such a great friend to my son Sage. Good luck on your fundraiser! By the way, you look fantastic, Chris!"

"Hey Chris! I've been following your transition since before you started your medical transition, and you've been a huge inspiration in my life in who I strive to be. This is all I can scrape up right now as I am also trying to save money for my surgery, but I'll be back here and there to donate a bit more. Good luck, man. So happy for you."

"Hey Christopher! Here's a little something to help you reach your goal. I was so touched by you and your sister's outreach to the Trans community to help guys with their gender confirming surgeries by donating part of the sales to help them since you started in 2014. Congratulations you will get there bro! Thanks also for all you do!"

"The man that inspired me to finally come out to my family and be open and proud of who I am as a trans guy. I'll donate as much as I can every pay check to help."


I was so touched by the amount of people who say that Chris has inspired them.  I know that Chris and Courtney do a lot to help the LGBTQ community through their company FLAVNT Streetwear, and Courtney is mentioned in many comments, as well, but I am coming to see and learn that Chris, himself, has used his life, his company, his social media exposure to help guide and positively influence other transgender individuals on their own journeys.  

I'm so proud to see the good things Chris is doing to help other people.  My parents taught me to treat people the way you want to be treated and I tried to teach each of my children this same lesson.  Sometimes you will receive hate for your success or for your accomplishments, but keep your eye on the path in front of you and your good deeds and hard work will pay off.  I know that Chris and Courtney, both, have been the victims of hate many times on social media (especially and primarily, sometimes, from the very community they support) but they continue to stay true to who they are, push forward with their ideas and projects for their company and their perseverance through it all has proven over and over again that they will succeed, survive and flourish, with many, many good people behind them.

I'm very proud to be the mother of a child that people look to for inspiration.  I'm very proud Chris is my son.

No comments:

Post a Comment